Monday, May 5, 2008

Honeysuckle Memories


It's funny how the simplest of things can create some of the best memories. Friday the kids and I were enveloped by the sweet sweet aroma of honeysuckle. Mmmm! It's an undeniable scent that takes me strait back to childhood. I told the kids about how my sisters and I raced one another to the honeysuckle vines and stayed until there were no more white flowers to be found. I left out the part about the three of us being engulfed in greed as we each tried to pick as many as possible so as to have more than the others. >:0) Once our noses found the source of that delicious sweetness, I showed them how to take the tiny green bud off of the bottom of the flower and pull out the longest stem, slowly, so that all of the nectar could be tasted. I was thrilled to see how pleased they were with this new discovery. Just as my sisters and I had done twenty years earlier, my babes stayed until all of the white flowers had been tasted. I couldn't help but to ask God to help them to remember that moment and store it away in their memory bank and make it as sweet in their minds as it was in mine. >:0)


When I was a kid I absolutely hated when my mom would pull a book out. Especially the Bible, and only because I knew that meant that she would be occupied for, what seemed to me, an eternity. I remember telling her, "Mom, I'm so bored. What can we do today?" and she'd reply "Use your imagination.". That response always drove me nuts. I never thought I had enough of an imagination, and then hours later I would find myself still playing make believe just as the Muppet Babies did. he,he. I am reminded of this memory, often, as I have found myself to be the reliable source of entertainment for my babes. We had a rainy kind of a weekend. I couldn't help but thank my mom, in my mind, for making me use my imagination to shake my boredom as a kid. I probably wouldn't be the uber cool mom that I am today! (Toot! Toot!) The kids were stir crazy in the house. I decided to teach them mad libs. It became a little family event. It produced a lot of laughs, that's for sure. We also put on a play, and after, I taught the kids about improv. My husband, who has performance anxiety (even with us), played along. Sweet Ella didn't know what to think of the four of us being so silly.
Thank you, Mom Mama Marmie Mo, for teaching me how to entertain boredom away! I love you for so many reasons, and this is just one of those many. You rock, Mom. >:0)

Our family needs some prayer warriors. Darrell is among the masses of those who have become unemployed, and is trying desperately to find a new job. I am so proud of this guy, because he is remaining so faithful and full of hope. If you feel led, please join with us as we pray for God to revive our economy. I have passed a few homes, this past week, and have become deeply saddened at the sight of a few foreclosure signs, as well as home possessions being thrown out onto the street. I am made aware, as I watch the news, that this isn't just happening in our tiny town. This is going on all over the U.S.

Restore us, O LORD God Almighty;make your face shine upon us,
that we may be saved. Psalm 80:19

Just a quick shout out to Casey Houston. You are doing a fabulous job. Don't let em get you down. >;0)

Just some pictures taken in the last week. (Field Day, baseball game, random)





Relishing in His goodness...