Monday, August 10, 2009

Victory

In an attempt of deleting my myspace account, I am transferring my blogs from there over here. Slowly but surely. :0)

October 27, 2007 - Saturday
Victory
The apostle Paul said with assurance, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing" (2 Tim. 4:7,8).

Today I sat next to my mourning sister as we listened to a Pastor speak these words at the funeral of one amazing lady. My sister's very good pal, and coworker, Sandra McDonnell lost her year long battle with cancer this week. Actually, I don't even like to put it into those words. I told my eight year old, who was very torn up over this wonderful lady's passing, that she has found the cure to her cancer! Bless her heart. Beautiful lady. Great mother. Wonderful pal. Awesome teacher. She is home free.

As I listened to the preacher and then scanned the completely full sanctuary I thought about the song, Legacy by Nicole Nordeman.

chorus:
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You
enough to make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy.

Would you believe that while Sandra was doing quite poorly in May of this year, she completed a mile long walk, in a Race for the Cure, along with some of her biggest fans from our Elm. school? If that's not fighting the good fight, I don't know what is! While in poor shape she comforted those who came to visit and couldn't take to see her in such a way, by reading out of the book of Psalms as well as praying with them. Over the summer she laid in a hospital bed, inside of her living room with assistance from Hospice care. She wasn't expected to make it very long. God had other plans! After going in for some testing, her doctors weren't able to detect any cancer. She was given a few extra months of downtime to enjoy her friends, and family. Two weeks ago the cancer was detected in her blood. She and her family decided to put all of their faith in God and not go on with further treatment.

Her husband said that in the last two hours of her life, she struggled to draw each and every breath. In her last breath, she smiled, and was gone. The Lord had revealed Himself to her husband, and their children as He took Sandra away. How beautifully amazing.

The sanctuary was quite large, yet, it was completely full. There were people standing up against the walls in the back, in their last attempt to say goodbye to someone who had made an impact on their life. She certainly left her mark in this world! If only we'd all do the same. What a wonderful world this would be.

As everyone was getting up to leave a recognizable tune began to play and I couldn't help but to sing quietly along. Nearly a week ago I sat in the sanctuary of our church, surrounded by our family after my daughter was Baptized, singing the very same tune with great pride and joy.

O victory in Jesus,
My Savior, forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood;
He loved me ere I knew Him,
And all my love is due Him,
He plunged me to victory,
Beneath the cleansing flood.

Fight the good fight. Finish the race. Keep your faith! Victory. >:0)


Relishing in His goodness...