Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thankful Thursday


Among millions of other blessings poured out upon me, today I am thankful for the capacity to retain the memories that I've stored away in the ole memory bank. At thirty, I wouldn't say that I'm getting up there in age (although my children would probably find that statement laughable...tee hee), but some days I certainly feel like it. As my life gets more chaotic with schedules, and such, I'm finding that my short term memory isn't what it used to be. I can't tell you how many times I've put things in the cabinet that belong in the freezer! BUT, as my memory isn't completely failing, I usually realize what I've done and quickly put them back in their places. Usually. :0) My long term memory is still pretty solid, however, and I'm so thankful for that.

My grandmother has had two mild strokes in the past couple of years. At first, it's easy to forget that she's had the strokes. She shows no physical disabilities, and her speech is normal. Her memory lapses frequently, however, and it's devastating to watch. She gets so very frustrated with herself. She told me, once, that it was constantly like having something on the tip of your tongue. Something that you could see plainly, but couldn't reach out and grab it. While she remembers a great detail about her childhood, as well as bringing up her own children, she doesn't remember very much after her late thirties. She is now 70, so it's a lot of years lost.

I am, indeed, quite thankful for memory. Who would I be without knowing who I've been? Praying that my memory bank never gets too full to hold onto all of my precious memories. :0)

I thank my God every time I remember you. Phil 1:3

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ,filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. Phil 1:9-11

Relishing in His goodness...