Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thankful Thursday



As always, I am thankful for so many things. Among those many things, I am thankful for adversity.

I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:12-13


You are probably wondering why I would choose a word that's definition is misfortune, or adverse fortune.

Last year was, what I will always call, my Year of Job. Not job as in work. Job, the man who faced an excruciating amount of adversity, as his story is written in the Bible.

But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips. Job 2:10


In February 2008, my husband was laid off from work, after the company he had been employed with shut down. He was not given steady work until November. In the time that he was without a steady job, we were hanging on by a thread. My grandmother had a stroke, as well. My family was so stressed that we were hardly on speaking terms with one another. I became pregnant last October. I lost that baby at home seven days before Christmas. My cat died the next day. Darrell got a rather expensive speeding ticket the day after that. Christmas was celebrated with a forced smile.

We nearly lost everything. It could have been worse, though. Had I not known my Father, I probably would have lost myself in grief, depression, and selfishness. I felt God's presence with me, however. Through everything. I was able to acknowledge His blessings being poured out upon us, even during the roughest patches.

I am thankful for adversity because it's taught me how to truly praise God in every storm. Just as Job remained steadfast in his own faith during great loss and many storms, adversity has been a faith builder. It's been an appreciation builder. It's made me stronger, through the love of Christ. It's given me a heart that longs to serve Him in ways I never imagined before my Year of Job.

Today, our life is much different, but I'll never forget what it took to get us here. I know that there will be more hurdles to cross. I'm clinging to the fact that God's here to carry me across each and every one of them.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9



Relishing in His goodness...