Monday, December 14, 2009

Accomplished




In a conversation with a pal, today, she was immersed in explaining the details of a blog she had recently visited, as well as the authors home pictures (literally pictures taken of/in this persons home). She was in awe of the "sheer awesomeness" (her words) of both the blog and this persons beautiful home. She threw several words out while explaining. Phenomenal, professional, awesome, beautiful, and the one that stuck in my head the most, accomplished. This one made me giggle, and I proceeded to tease my friend and remind her that we need not envy what other people have and be grateful for what we, ourselves, have. While I understood where she was coming from (I'm human too...and honestly, what woman doesn't look at another woman's talents, beautiful home, as well as other attributes and not wish to have the same?) I have a hard time understanding why my friend felt like this persons "accomplishments" were more significant than that of her own. We are all accomplished in our own way.

I guess I have a knack for creating diversions when one of my children are feeling down. My ten year old had a minor meltdown after school today. After a long hug and a little talk, I realized that she was not going to be consoled with a simple pep talk. So, I did what any mother would do. I pulled out the paints. My girls and I (son fell asleep...total nap lover!) took turns painting each others faces. It was evident that my girls troubles had melted away with every stroke of paint that she glopped onto my face. While the girls had trouble keeping the itchy drying paint on their own faces for more than ten minutes, I vowed to keep mine on so that they could show D what they had done to my, once boring face. I thought that guy would never get home! I cooked dinner with a painted face. Ate dinner with a painted face. Said bedtime prayers with a painted face. And, yes, am currently typing with a painted face. :0P While my son said that I looked scary (the girls really did a number on me...probably a vast improvement!), my diversion worked and I feel a huge sense of accomplishment.

What makes you feel accomplished?

Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is.-Anne Frank

Relishing in His goodness...


4 comments:

Parsley said...

I love this post! I think you and I would really hit if off in real life!

I too look to humor when things are low for others. Annoys my gal sometimes.

I feel accomplished with helping others; kids in 4-H or at church for example. I also find great joy in helping people with their animals.

My home isn't professionally decorated, in fact is quite boring for most but I don't find my joy in 'stuff'.

Christy said...

Parsley,

I am certain that we'd be great pals in "real life". :0)

It's funny you say that humor tends to annoy your daughter. My humor seems to have the same effect on my oldest daughter as well. I don't know when she became too cool for her mommy's random tendancy to "bust a move" at a moments notice. ahhhh hahahahahaha.

Those are great accomplishments to have. You should be very proud of yourself. You have a huge heart.

"Stuff" is exactly where I wanted to go with this post, but didn't want my pal to feel I was being negative towards her feeling of awe. I pray that I never covet worldy things so much so that "stuff" defines my character, thus taking my focus away from Christ. You know?

Allie :-) said...

actually, my point of telling you about the blog, was that it looked professional and the pictures of her home were AMAZING!...makes me want to go back to my old decorating style because her house looked welcoming and comfortable, yet clean and uncluttered. :-) Think I must have used the wrong wording--I don't envy what she had, just was in awe of her decorating style :-D It was seriously cool...you gotta go check it out and then you'll see why I was so excited about it LOL

Christy said...

Allie-I didn't say that you envied her, ya big booger! I was just using our conversation for things that were on our mind. I hope you didn't take offense. You know I love you to pieces. I didn't mean for this to seem like a direct hit at you. Our conversation really made me think of the ways in which the world thinks. Gotta have, wanna have what everyone else wants. I'm just as guilty, you know? This post was really directed, well, at the world's way of thinking. :0) Love ya!