Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Coversations with a Five Year Old


Ella is at such a fun age. She is just so inquisitive...her curiosity is adorable.


On a car ride to pick Daddy up from the car pool meeting place, Ella interrupted the silence.

Ella: Mama, why is my Daddy so brown?

Me: Why is Daddy brown?

Ella: Yes?

Me: Well, he's actually a color called tan. Very tan actually! Your best friend, Kamia, has brown skin. But, Daddy's skin is a different color, right?

Ella: (long pause) Why is Daddy tan?

Me: When Daddy gets in the sun, it turns him tan. When you and I get in the sun, it makes us red, and then our skin peels and we're white again...and sometimes we get freckles where the red was.

Ella: Yeah! We get red on our cheeks!

Me: Yep....sun-kissed.

Ella: What???? Sun kiss? People drink the sun????

This question caught me off guard and I had to think about what she was talking about. After a few seconds, it hit me. Sunkist! This produced lots of laughter, and then a new conversation that consisted of the Sun, Moon, stars and astronauts...including the fact that she REALLY REALLY wanted to have a picnic in a spaceship.


During a casual conversation at the table

Me: Ella, are you my big girl?

Ella: Yes. Two! (holding up two fingers) I'm yours and Daddy's!

Me: Daddy? Who's this Daddy you talk about?

Ella: (laughing and pointing to Darrell) Right there! That my Daddy, Mommy!

Me: Oh. That fella right there? What's his name?

Ella: His name Dawwell!

Me: Darrell, oh okay! I see. What's my name?

Ella: You name Mommy!

Me: Mommy!?! Yes, but what's my real name?

Ella: It Mommy!

Me: No...my first name is.....?

Ella: Ohhhhh! Wight. It Chisss-ty.

Me: That's right! It's Christy! Good girl!

Ella: (after a short pause) And you middle name is Mommy!!!





We've had some really foggy mornings, lately.

Yesterday, on the way to school, Ella broke the silence, once again.

Ella: Mommy, can you see out of your window?

Me: Yes...I can see, sweety. Why?

Ella: I can't see. Can you roll down my window?

Me: The windows are okay baby...it's just foggy outside this morning.

Ella: No, my window has stuff on it. I can't see outside. It's icky.

I knew, then, that she didn't understand what the fog was, so I decided to roll her window down to show her how the fog was there with the window up and down. I attempted to explain what fog was, as best as I could to my five year old...

Me: See sweety? The fog is still there when the window is down. It's not on the windows.

Ella: I wub my eyes, but it's still there. I don't like it! It make me not be able to see outside.

I watched as her little fingers attempted to rub the fog away from her vision, and I couldn't help but to think, five years from now those little fingers are going to be attached to the hand of a ten year old. She'll understand why fog is produced, and the questions she'll ask will be quite different then. While she's still small, and the world around her is such a fun mystery, I'm relishing in her little five year old self. Loving and indulging in every curious question and observation her beautiful mind comes across.


Relishing in His goodness...

No comments: