Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Little Lady & Her Father

There is something about a bright sunny day, with just enough wind to fly a kite.

As I stood on the sidelines, holding my wee tot, I watched as my precious husband ran around the yard with our five year old daughter. On his only day off, after a six day long stretch and with six days to follow, he held a string as she held one pink Disney princess kite. I observed in silent reverie. I wondered if either of them would remember that moment as I would.

She threw her head back and laughed as she watched her daddy attempt to fly her kite. Her hair was tossed about, exposing chubby cheeks and freckles. He ran, with all his might...proving himself worthy of her affection. When her kite caught wind, he handed her the handle & string, and stooped down to her level offering patient instruction.

"Look, Mommy! We did it! We did it! My kite is flying!" The expression on her face was priceless. Her tiny hands held onto the string handle with determination, while continued glances at her mommy were made for recognition of a job well done.

When her kite came crashing to the ground, he started back at square one. Run. Fly. Crash. Repeat.



Later that day, I watched as my girl asked her Daddy if she could help him build a bookcase. He patiently helped her to hammer in a few nails. When they finished the job she gave us high-fives and admired her handy skills. :)



I relish in these moments, Lord.

No man can possibly
know what life means, what the
world means, until he has a child and loves it. And
then the whole universe changes
and nothing will ever again seem
exactly as it seemed before.

- Lafcadio Hearn


Relishing in His goodness...