Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Gabriel's Speech

For those of you who have asked to read it, this is the speech that Gabriel wrote and recited last night.

How My Optimism Will Help Me Press on to Greater Achievements of the Future

 What is optimism? Optimism is hopefullness and confidence about the future/the successful outcome of something. My optimism has taken me on journeys to all the places I've set my mind to, with a cheerful disposition. Optimism will take me on journeys, in the future, that may possibly involve me becoming a band director, a singer/praise and worship leader, a baseball player, or maybe even a teacher. Optimism helps me to believe that, as long as I jump high enough, I can reach the stars.

 If I didn't have my optimism, I wouldn't be the person I am today. This boy who works hard to be a child of God and to represent Him well, or this boy who tries my best to be a good role model for my younger siblings, or this boy who gives my all to the percussion ensemble or band at my school. I am flawed, but I know that I'm doing my best and I am blessed for it.

 Optimism pushes me to venture out of my comfort zone and to do things that I've never done before. It helps me to get up and push forward after I fall...and then try even harder the next time. This oratorical, for example...I struggled with it. It would have been easy to tell myself that it wasn't mandatory and just not do it. In fact, I did tell myself that once or twice. But then I knew I'd be disappointed in myself if I didn't push myself to do it. My optimism is much like faith. It helps me to have confidence in knowing that God will give me the words for this speech, and the confidence to recite it.

 Many people came to mind while writing rough drafts of this speech. People who have ventured out of their comfort zones in order to fulfill their dreams. Martin Luther King Jr, Ghandi, and Mother Teresa, for example. Each were filled with obvious optimism.

 I was bullied by a teacher and, after he was dismissed from his position, some of my peers picked up where he left off. If it wasn't for my faith in God and optimism of my future, I don't think that I would have come out of that situation well. I knew that God was with me and I pressed on. I thought of how David must have felt after defeating Goliath, or when Daniel was thrown into the lion's den to be devoured, only to be befriended and respected by the lions in the end. Most importantly, how our Savior carried the heavy cross that he was nailed to... each man overcame under extreme circumstances, and I can too!

 Each and every person has an ability to make this world a better place. Abilities that may involve a cure for cancers, perhaps a meal, or maybe even just a simple smile or a prayer. Ghandi once said, "Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. If I have the belief that I CAN do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it." Well, I believe that I CAN do anything that I put my mind to doing because as Philippians 4:13 states, I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Optimism is strength therefore it comes from the Lord . I embrace it and am very optimistic about my future.

Thank you.