Sunday, June 18, 2023

A Second Father's Day Without You


  Dearest Darrell,

    I don't know what to say...I feel like I've said it all. And who am I kidding? You can't read this anyway. But you deserve to be honored, nonetheless...so here I am. Hello you. Selfishly, I wish that the kids and I could have woken you up to breakfast in bed and spoiled you silly with gifts and love. I can only imagine your day has been far superior to all of the worldly lovin we could have given you, though. For that reason, I am thankful that God has you where you're supposed to be. 


    While I no longer have new photos and experiences to share with the world of you, my memory is long and your wife has always been a photo-taking junkie. I've got a gazillion photos of you. I'll forever be grateful to God for creating you and making you my husband for the seventeen years that I was your wife. I was gifted a front row seat to watch you be the diaper changing, book reading, baseball team coaching, big breakfast making daddy to our babies. That closed mouth smile that decorated your face, every Christmas morning, as you "played Santa" is one that I'll forever cherish. I've got this constant image of you. Lindsey was cheering for flag football so we were walking to the field. I was pregnant with Ella, and Gabriel was five. You toted all of our chairs with one hand, and held Gabriel's hand with the other. I took a photo, as I waddled slowly behind you three. I can picture that moment, though, as if it just happened. You never complained about the weight you were having to carry nor the fact that Gabriel wanted to hold your hand. You were simply happy to have the three of us in your life. 



Happy Father's Day, Darrell! Thank you, a million times over, for all of the awesome memories. We love you so much!  

Relishing in His goodness...
Christy