Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Where the Corn Grows

     We sat atop a grassy hill that overlooked an unspoiled plot of land. A pond, for the bovine herd to drink from, glistened and rippled in the sunshine. The gorgeous blue sky hugged a thousand Georgia pines creating a contrast of colors that made me tear up in delight of God's handiwork. The scent of grassy earth danced in the breeze and filled my senses to the brim. Birds provided a symphony in tree branches and, oh... how it made my heart soar. I was so taken by this sweet reverie that I hadn't even noticed that we were driven right into a pasture that was currently being occupied by a herd of cattle that were curiously making their way toward us. This was a delight for my animal loving Ella girl who quickly reached down and tugged at a thick patch of grass, pulling it up in one swift handful, in hopes of feeding a heifer or two. They came with full bellies and hesitation, however. But the smile on her face told me that she was simply delighted to be in their presence all the same. 

    "This is what I hope Heaven looks like.", I told them as I breathed in every bit of the atmosphere that my lungs could hold. I was immersed in a place that felt like sheer peace, love, and God all rolled up into the form of one really small farm town in Georgia. 

    For once, I was thankful that my phone had little to no reception. Places like that are good for the soul. 

    That sweet town also has what seems like an endless supply of dirt roads to explore with zero shortage of wild life to ogle at. One of those dirt roads provided a reprieve as a shallow creek, with crystal clear water running over smooth pebbles, beckoned us to dip our feet in. The cool water flowed steadily around my feet as I watched my girl laugh and smile as she waded through yet another of the steady stream of blessings bestowed upon us during our little adventure that afternoon. 

    By the end of the day, we were covered from head to toe in red dirt that the side-by-side unapologetically stirred up in its wake. We laughed at the sight of our clothes and hair before agreeing that we'd do it again, a million times over. 



"Listen patiently, quietly, and reverently to the lessons, one by one, which Mother Nature has to teach... so that all who will, may see and know." 
-Luther Burbank 



Relishing in His goodness...
Christy