Thursday, September 26, 2024

Before the Storm...


   
In the midst of planning a cookout, in celebration for my soon-to-be thirteen year old's birthday, Mother Nature decided to stick a pin in our plans by dumping a hurricane onto our path. Therefore, I reluctantly sent a group text with plans to reschedule. This probably came as no surprise as all of the party guests are also in the path of the hurricane. Archery practice and church were both canceled last night. I've spent the past two days prepping, in the event that we lose power for an extended amount of time. All of the laundry has been done, and dishes/cookware washed. We've all had showers. The bathtubs are full of water. We have plenty of water frozen and more in the fridge. Outdoor porch items have been tucked away. Our Alexa devices and phones have spewed notifications for "Tropical Storm Warnings" every hour or so. Our county has sent constant tips on how to best prep as well as for warnings for our specific area. My house is surrounded by trees, on all four sides, so I take those warnings seriously. 

    Luke and I got up early and made a big breakfast (and coffee! Praying I get to make another pot tomorrow morning, too!). He and the kids went to the store to get last minute things that we may need in the event of a power outage. Jacob's virtual school let out early and announced a closure tomorrow. Ella's virtual school hasn't announced anything, but my diligently responsible girl completed all of her school work for the next two days, anyhow. 


    Jacob doesn't play video games often, anymore, but he's been playing with his friends, as the rain keeps pouring down, today. Not a care in the world and I LOVE it! Hearing him laughing and chatting with them has been a sweet, sweet symphony to my soul. To be a kid again.  

    Ugh. I hate storms, so I'm busying myself with chores/prep, talking to God along the way. My hope is that all of this prepping will be unnecessary in the end.

    Pray with me, please, that this storm (Hurricane Helene) weakens and there is no devastation or loss to my home state and surrounding states. Pray for a hedge of protection. Pray, also for the safety of the first responders who serve our community bravely and without pause.    

    On a light-hearted side note, Luke's sister and her hubby are home from Bolivia for the next three months! They figured out the way to my lil coffee-loving heart, y'all, and brought me coffee and a mug from the country she's spent the past two plus decades in doing mission work. I sent this photo to her, this morning, and captioned it, "Big cheesy cheesing while enjoying Bolivian coffee in my new favorite mug..."

(morning hair. don't care.)

 Such thoughtful gifts! I'm incredibly appreciative of this family my kids and I have been welcomed into so well. 


    The sky is calm, for the moment, and we're thankful for it. If you're in the path of the hurricane, too, hunker down and be safe, y'all! Hugs and blessings! 

    To be continued...


    Update (09-29-24): We were quite blessed when the storm headed farther east of us. Our hearts are absolutely broken, however, at the devastation that Hurricane Helene left in its wake to our surrounding states, as well as to other parts of Georgia. In the event that you feel inclined to volunteer your time or give a donation, I'm sharing the link to Samaritans Purse so that you may be informed on how to do so. There is a second hurricane heading toward the same path, in less than a week and then one to follow that one making a total of three hurricanes in the span of two weeks. Continued prayers for our Southern states are coveted. 

Relishing in HIS goodness...
Christy
IStndAmzd79@gmail.com